Friday 13 October 2017

Humming Bird Hawk Moth

I got home about 5.30 today and was washing up a few things when I noticed something large buzzing around the Verbena Bonariensis. I was excited to find a Humming Bird Hawk Moth. It stayed there for ages, long enough for me to fetch my camera and go back again for my glasses so I could see it properly! It really does look like a tiny humming bird. I couldn't hear a humming noise but there was quite a lot of background noise. What an amazing little creature!
 This photo is about the clearest one-it moves fast so all the others are a bit blurred.
 It is so precise at putting its proboscis into each floret-it never misses!

 As you can see, Cassie is interested, so I was watching her as well, to make sure the snacker didn't become the snack!



1 comment:

Serenata said...

Oh wow, how lucky you were to see that! You did well capturing it on film.

Fascinating. The wonderful world of nature.