Monday 26 August 2013

Hastings

Last weekend we went to Hastings to stay with friends who we haven't seen for four years. I don't know why that is but it was lovely to see them! They have two children and the youngest was only a baby when we last saw them so obviously wouldn't remember us. The oldest was four. I asked him if he remembered us. "No." Interesting that an eight year old's memory does not extend back to four. Same as me in that respect!
 Their log pile is impressive. They get logs from the tree surgeons in the park over the road. 
 We went for a lovely walk into town on the Saturday, and saw some pretty gardens on the way. One was of someone called 'Grey Owl' who was an English man who moved to Canada, and became a fur trapper and wilderness guide. He then took on a native identity and claimed to be of Apache and Scottish descent. He married an Iroquois woman who gradually persuaded him to stop trapping because of the cruelty involved. One day he trapped a mother beaver and as he paddled away the cries of the babies followed him. He went back the next day and collected the babies, looking after them with his wife. So he changed from a trapper to a conservationist over the years. It is a fascinating story. (I have as usual gleaned all my points from wikipedia!)
 Pink flowers, purple door and blue walls-so pretty!

 Christmas is forecast in an alley.
 The Red Arrows appeared just for us.
 Windy beach. I love the tattered plastic flags.



 I love their fire. 
 Saturday became a bit wet and squally. Sunday was hot. We went for another walk in the park opposite their house. It is much bigger than I thought it was. Perfect to have just across the road!
 There is a little railway track with small steam engines. This is one of the engineers just disappearing into the tunnel.

 These dogs looked cute and happy at first. Then they became snarling beasts as they 'played' chase with each other. They reminded me of polar bears.
The best doorstop I have ever seen. It was dug up in the garden of their flat in London. 
Lovely weekend! Must not leave it four years until the next time!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous log pile - of course I showed it to malcolm, who was impressed!. I love the doorstop. How lovely to meet up with friends after such a long tie - it is so beasy with our busy lives to lose touch.

Anairam said...

Looks like a beautiful town! Hahaha, I really like the doorstop.

Queenie Believe said...

Loks like a wonderful weekend get-away. That is the very best door stop ever! Ha!
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie

Leenie said...

My kind of weekend. I would love to walk through places like that. Thanks for showing us some of what you saw. The flower gardens are superb! So are the boats on the rocky beach. The doorstop is priceless.

Serenata said...

I've got a book either about or written by Grey Owl - I will have to look it out!

Looks like a lovely place to live, so glad you enjoyed your time with them.

jabblog said...

Lovely photos, as ever. I liked the boat with the flags and the skulls and of course, the doorstop really made me smile. What a wonderful find.